IMPORTANT: Make sure that the database you are importing contains the default credentials for that install. For example, the tcumagazine install should contain the username tcumagazine with email@example.com as the email address. This information will be the one added into our WP-default spreadsheet located in our mkc_Web server. Make sure you let the vendor know that they must create this user before they export the database.
This task will walk you through the steps you need to take in order to clear your current default database and seamlessly import your site’s database to WP Engine. If you encounter issues importing your database, please open a WP Engine support ticket.
- Access your install’s phpMyAdmin in Install Name > phpMyAdmin
- Click on the database name on the far left. It should have your install name as a title with wp as a prefix.
- Halfway down the page, click Check All to select all tables,
and select Drop from the dropdown menu.
- Click Yes to confirm
- Click the import tab
- Click Choose File
- Select the database that was sent to you by the vendor
- Click Go, located at the bottom of the page
- Once you have successfully imported your database, check your table prefixes and make sure they start with wp_ so your site can run smoothly on our system. If your prefixes do not start with wp_, go to How to change the table prefix in order to make the necessary changes.
Import the wp-content folder to WP Engine
Don’t forget to copy the mu-plugins folder back into your wp-content folder. The site will break if this folder is missing.
- Using an SFTP client, log into your WP Engine server.
- Need an SFTP client? FileZilla works on all operating systems.
- Upload your local copy of the “wp-content” zipped folder to the WP Engine server. Do not forget to zip this folder before exporting to save uploading time and avoid corruption errors.
- Once the transfer was completed successfully, extract the files.
If the wp-content folder is not too big in size then you can skip the last two bullet points. You can just transfer the entire wp-content folder without having to zip it.